Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Stand

You stood before creation
Eternity within Your hand
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
Carried the Cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to You

So I'll walk upon salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
This life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to You

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours

Hear the song here:


Today's early service at Jackson Park UMC...well, seemed just perfect...and fitting for a loving send off for Susan and I.  Our pastor, Neal preached on John 1: 29-42....where John The Baptist introduces the 2 Disciples to Jesus...these were followers of John.  They then started to follow Jesus...but followed at a distance.  Jesus stopped, met them halfway and asked "who do you seek?"  They replied "Where are you staying?"  They wanted to get to know Him.   Neal talked about how you don't really know someone until you really spend time with them.  He gave an example of how well he knew his neighbor....How well do you know Jesus?  He meets us half way...but do we meet Him?  A profound statement also was "We could not have found God unless God had already seeked for us."    We attend church, we bow our heads when there are prayers, we put our monies in the plate as it passes...we serve on committees or ministries...but how well do you know Jesus?  Saying the prayers, responsive readings, creeds in church will not give us a life changing relationship with Christ...getting to know Him, seeking Him, being with Him in the garden, at the cross, and at the tomb.  Jesus doesn't want us to walk at a distance from Him...he wants us beside Him.  He wants to experience what we experience...He wants us to be in the presence of Christ!! 

The words to "The Stand" started today's blog....that was the closing song.  Little Madison, Susan's beautiful granddaughter sang a solo of "Thank You Lord."  A little girl who has grown up in that church....who has been taught to walk beside Jesus...stood up there today, nervous...but you would have never known it.  She stepped right out of her boat again...walked up to be in the presence of Christ.  We were so proud...and fitting to say 'Thank you Lord.'


The sermon I've already described...the music...it all just fit....it was what God had in mind for this day and special people listened to His nudge and His call for it all to happen just perfect.   After Neal's sermon, Susan and I were called to the front and anyone could come up, lay hands on us and there was a prayer by Neal...a send off, if you will....an empowerment to not fall behind and follow Jesus...to run ahead...meet him not half way, but all the way...to see where He takes us on this trip.  Every year there is 'something' or 'someone' that becomes the 'it' of the trip...the poster picture of that year....you can't pick it...it just happens.  It's normally something that totally takes us out of our 'planned mode or planned agenda'...that look back upon moment that grabs you and makes you realize He is in control...not us.

While Adoration (our praise band/singers) sang "The Stand"...there were several of us up front still...and the rest of the congregation joined hands...and together, united....we took "The Stand"...."
So what can I say,
What can I do.
But offer this heart O God,
Completely to You

So I'll stand,

With arms high and heart abandoned,
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand, My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours"



We're equipped, we're walking side by side with Jesus.  I feel His very presence and know He's there waiting on us in Barahona.  I also know satan usually does his best attacking on me in these next few days....to throw in a little doubt about leaving my family...frantic rush to make sure everything is done 'just right' before I leave....both at home and work.  But...I Stand....prepared to tell satan to stay beneath my feet.  I ask for your prayers for that for Susan and I as we prepare to leave Wednesday.  We have no fears of leaving.....but would covet a prayer of protection from satan distracting our journey ahead.

I know I will be missed...but I really know when my Gracie came up to me after the service with tears streaming down her face....her tight hug and her whisper "I'm going to miss you Mom"....well, there's emotion there that only a mom can explain....so I ask for prayers also for our families left behind.  While Susan and I are very comfortable with where we are going and what we are doing....it's familiar surroundings and people.  While our families love and respect what we do...they've not been and it's still a third world country with poverty and they have fear sometimes...it's a trusting fear if you will....all the while knowing we are in God's capable hands, they don't have the same comfort level as we do...so if you will say a prayer for them as well.  We love you & thank you for allowing us to follow our calling from God.


Blessings and lots of love!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment