Saturday, January 29, 2011

I've Learned I Will Never Be the Same Again

Before dinner in Santo Domingo Saturday night with our team, Connie, Olivia, Jorge, Amy, and the other COPA girls...I shared this as our last devotion. 
******************************************************************************************
In the Dominican Republic I learned about excess…mine. 
I learned that I have more…than the whole island we stayed on. 
I learned they had more…than I could possibly ever understand. 
I learned simplicity…is a blessing. 
I learned that from where God is sitting…we all look the same. 
I learned that my skill level…does not matter as much as my desire level. 
I learned I cannot make an economic change in their lives…but they can in mine. 
I learned about love from people…who had only love to give. 
I learned why missionaries do…what missionaries do. 
I learned why beauty is as simple…as a child’s smile. 
I learned candy is just as sweet…in someone else’s mouth. 
I learned that even old men can learn from children…who do not speak the same language. 
I learned I needed my passport validated…with God’s entry stamp. 
I learned food to exist is so much better…than excess food to enjoy. 
I learned why God rested…on the seventh day. 
I learned how arrogant I must be…to think I gave them anything. 
I learned how little some people need…to get by. 
I learned that customs and culture…are part of God’s wisdom. 
I learned that a fellowship of believers feels the same…here and there. 
I learned sleeping in a one room shanty is different than sleeping in a five bedroom house…not worse – but different. 
I learned about sharing…from those who had so little to share. 
I learned how all beaches…are not the same. 
I learned that God so loved the world…that he gave.  
I learned the true meaning of the parable…of the widow’s mite. 
I learned God is fluent…in every language. 
I learned why I need reminding from time to time that I am such a small part…of a bigger picture and God is the painter. 
I learned that a shovel (hammer) does not care…who operates it. 
I learned that poor is not a definition…only an economic condition.  I learned why worship…has no specific time or place. 
I learned why I must never take for granted those things…I take for granted. 
I learned I will never be the same…or normal again.

Submitted by Bob Gourley, Rock Hill UMVIM team to Venezuela.
Adapted for Dominican trip by Paula Lambert 2005/2006/2007/2008,
 2009, 2010, 2011







No comments:

Post a Comment