Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's our job!

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ,if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit,if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus. Phillippins 2: 1-5

***********************************************************************

Earlier in the week, I was having a conversation with a team member.  Someone I call friend, and value his history in missions.  I don't remember exactly how the conversation went there...but we were talking about how the week made us feel...I made the statement, of how it refreshed me...enriched me.  How it gave me perspective.  Then he made a statement that was probably the most profound of the week for me.  He said coming here (to the Dominican) was his job.  At first...it caught me off guard and I even questioned him...but after we talked a bit more and went our seperate directions...It hit me...While this week does give me perspective, renews my faith in manhood, grounds me in the material world...what goes on here and what I am here to do with my gifts and talents....is indeed 'my job.' 



Matthew 28:16-20 The Great Commission

 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
 
 
Matthew tells us that Jesus gave the command...to go.  He doesn't say to go to foreign land...he doesn't say to just stay in your own home town...he just says "Go."  "Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name...."
 
It is my job..our job.  To go home and share our gifts and talents just as we do here.  I've talked this but still find myself being 'too tired' or 'too busy' or 'too...whatever.'  I am called to share the wave to strangers just as I do here...to share the "hello" greeting just as I do here, so share a "God Bless You" just as I do here to people I don't even know.  It's so easy here to say "Hola'", "Dios La Bendinga" as you don't feel  you'll be ridiculed or denied.  But why shouldn't we be denied...Christ himself was...still is.
 
So, M.B...I understand your committment and how it's the same...here and there.  How it's our job to use the gifts, talents, education that God has blessed us with to help everyone...everywhere.  I love you friend for the example you are to me...for introducing me to this team 8 years ago and allowing me to see God through their eyes.  I appreciate your spirituality and your love of our Savior and your willingness to share it with everyone.  You taught me the difference in being a warrior and a worker.
 
Yes...what was said to me in this conversation was probably the most profound thing I heard...that I will take home with me and will strive every day to do my job.    As the week is coming to a close. 
 
My body is tired, muscles aches, not sleeping well with my left arm going to sleep due to my back being out.  I miss my family but already dread leaving this place.  The smell of something burning all the time, the sound of the Carribean Ocean pounding the shores just feet from our hotel door...riding in the red truck every day, sweating profusely all the time....you can't possibly drink 'enough' ever, so we're all a bit dehydrated or a lot dehydrated.  Yet...tomorrow...being Friday, we'll wake with compassion for these sweet children of God and for each other.  We're all in it together sharing in this week...making His "joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind."
Dream Ministries Team 2011
Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment